Malcolm Gladwell in his book David and Goliath outlines the relative advantages of small organizations over large. These advantages apply to all organizations especially business.
The following are compelling advantages for a client to choose small organizations:
1. A small company is flexible, and can quickly address changes in technology or in the market. Changing direction ismuch more difficult for a large organization; it can take a great deal of effort and time. Sometimes, there is not adequate time to make the change to save the company (Kodak, Blockbuster, anyone?) A small company on the other hand is like little motorboat, which can change direction on a dime if it needs to.
2. If company culture requires a change, it is far easier to retrain 10 employees than a 1000.
3. Service to the client, is far more personal and caring. For large companies, clients are often treated like a number to be serviced without too much care.
4. Small companies offer better levels of customization. A small firm is likely to set up a project with someone who is suited to the work. And if the work is given to a junior, he is guided directly by a manager with experience, which means a much higher chance of getting better results. Large companies once they have a new project, assign the work to a pool of technicians and designers, including many recent graduates. They may have the benefit of systems to follow, but they lack experience.
Small companies, on the other hand, are likely to set you up with someone who is suited to your work. And, if the work is given to a junior, he is guided directly by a manager with experience - much higher chance of getting better results.
5. To a small company, all projects are important. In large companies, the large lucrative project get the best staff assigned to it, while if your project is small or less prestigious it will be relegated to the less experiences and talented staff.
So why are small companies reluctant to compete in the same market with large companies?
Is it lack of confidence? Is it intimidation?
We have evidence, to show small companies are a good choice for prospective clients to make. So we need to package and sell them in a compelling way!
Small firms must develop their presentations to clearly demonstrate to clients that they are the best choice for numerous reasons. The most compelling of theses is that the small firm will always keep their client’s project top shelf and if anything goes wrong the client can have easy access to the company owner, who will do whatever it takes to make it right again.
To small firms all work is essential. While a client may have to wait to schedule work with a small firm, their project will get undivided attention once it begins so the wait will be worthwhile.